Top 10 Must-See Poker Movies10 months ago
Due to the large audience poker has amassed over the last few decades, movies about poker have become just as popular as the game so many people are drawn to. Here are the top ten movies about poker ranked, according to IMDb.
10. High Roller: The Stu Ungar StoryComing in at number ten is the movie chronicling one of poker’s most infamous figures, the late, great Stu Ungar. The film, released in 2003, follows the life of Ungar and all of his gambling exploits. The story is a flashback, starting at the end of his life in a motel room.
9. All-In: The Poker Movie
All-In is a poker documentary that follows some of the reasons why poker went through a massive rebirth in the early 2000s. Released in 2009, the film features some of poker’s biggest names like Phil Hellmuth and Chris Moneymaker.
8. Lucky YouThis film is a poker drama surrounding the relationship between Huck Cheever, a young poker player, and his father, L.C. Cheever, a two-time World Series of Poker Main Event winner. Huck tries to get $10,000 to gain entry into the WSOP.
7. DealReleased in 2008, Deal chronicles the story of a young rising poker star who finds himself battling with his poker mentor on the biggest stage. An ex-gambler professor teaches a young man some tricks of the game.
6. ShadeThis film is the classic crime thriller featuring big-name actors like Jamie Foxx and Sylvester Stallone. The main group of gangsters pulls off a successful sting and the resulting revenge makes for a great plot in this 2003 thriller.
5. The GrandComing in at number five is an improv film based in Las Vegas, The Grand. Released in 2008, this film is centered on a poker tournament at the Golden Nugget. Each actor was given a general role to perform, and was left to play that role how they like.
4. Casino RoyaleThis classic entry into the Daniel Craig James Bond series features one of the most iconic poker scenes in cinema history. In this jam-packed thriller, Bond must take out a banker who provides funds for terrorists to play high-stakes poker games.
3. The Cincinnati KidThe oldest entry on this list is The Cincinnati Kid. This depression-era film, released in 1965, follows the story of Eric “The Kid” Stoner as he strives to become the best player around. His journey eventually has him faced up with Lancey “The Man” Howard, an established player, in a climatic match.
2. MaverickThis 1994 film is a comedic Western that follows the story of Bret Maverick. He is a con artist and thief who collects money in order to enter into a high-stakes poker game. The film features household names like Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster.
1. RoundersPerhaps the least surprising entry on this list, this 1998 film is a favorite for anyone who considers themselves a fan of poker. It follows Mike McDermott (Matt Damon) in his return to the high-stakes scene to help his friend pay off a debt. Who can forget his classic face off with Teddy KGB?
Did you like this article?Tweet +0