Veronica Brill Launches GoFundMe Campaign for Mike Postle Libel Lawsuit Legal Fees6 months ago
Veronica Brill, the whistleblower who brought the alleged cheating by frequent “Stones Live!” participant Mike Postle into the public eye, has announced a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds expected to be needed to conduct a legal defense against the libel lawsuit Postle filed against her and several other defendants on Friday.
Brill announced her GoFundMe campaign within 24 hours of news of Postle’s lawsuit being made public by co-defendant Todd Witteles. Brill posted this:
Brill, the former “Stones Live!” commentator who went public with her accusations after being rebuffed privately by show producer Justin Kuraitis, sought $20,000 in legal-help donations. The GoFundMe campaign topped that mark in just a few hours following a massive outpouring of financial support.
In explaining the need for assistance with legal fees, Brill wrote:
“I need to raise money for my own defense as we all need to file Anti-Slapp separately and that costs $20,000.”
“Anti-SLAPP” refers to the process of legally defending against so-called “SLAPP” (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) lawsuits, a category of libel/slander/defamation lawsuits that are filed not to win, but to squelch public discussion of a matter such as the alleged cheating by Postle and presumed accomplices.
A SLAPP lawsuit is related to but is not quite the same as a nuisance lawsuit designed to wrest a settlement from well-heeled defendants, but the two lawsuit forms, both widely viewed as frivolous, are an unfortunately common occurrence in the United States’ over-litigious society.
Brill also made plans for any overage received from donors. She wrote:
“If I raise in enough I will consider accepting the suit and moving forward with discovery. In the case that I move forward with the suit and win, and get Mike to pay for my legal bills, I will give all reimbursed legal fees to KL Cleeton (see below).”
Cleeton, an Illinois player who was famously sponsored into the 2017 WSOP Main Event by Daniel Negreanu, suffers from spinal muscular atrophy and has significant transportation needs, all while becoming a well-known part of the American poker community.
“Any money raised and not used for legal expenses, I will be giving to KL Cleeton towards the van that we have been trying to get for him,” Brill noted.
The surge of financial help included hefty donations of a thousand dollars or more from several contributors, and early donators included numerous prominent names from the poker world, such as Brett Murray, Barny Boatman, Gillian Epp, Erik Seidel, Phil Hellmuth, Oliver Gill, Cole South, Lonnie Hardwood, Joe Stapleton, Eric Rodawig, Jen Shahade, Steve Badger, Terrence Chan, James Bord, Ryan Fee, Frank Kassela, and many, many others.
If you missed anything connected to the case over the past year, our extensive coverage of the Postlegate scandal can be viewed below:
- Sick Heater or Sick Cheater? StonesLive Player Under Suspicion
- Updates on Mike Postle Poker Cheating Scandal at StonesLive
- Mike Postle Denies Cheating Allegations On The Mouthpiece Podcast
- Is Mike Postle Really A Cheat?
- Mike Postle, Stones and Kuraitis Named in $10million Cheating Scandal Lawsuit
- Veronica Brill - The Real Hero Of The Stones Live Poker Cheating Scandal
- Has Matt Berkey Discovered The Postlegate Cheating Method?
- Is Jonathan Little Unfairly Cashing in on Postlegate Scandal?
- Top 5 Hands Mike Postle Allegedly Cheated On Stones Live Cash Game
- Postlegate Whistleblower Veronica Brill Reveals Inner Workings of Stones Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle Will Not Go To Jail Over Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle In Hiding As $10Million Lawsuit Heads To Court
- Mike Postle's Magazine Releases Anonymous Article Casting Doubt on Cheating Claims
- Anonymous Claims That Mike Postle Played At Other Casinos During Alleged Cheating Streak
- Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle Finally Acknowledges $10million Lawsuit
- Another Delay in Mike Postle Cheating Case
- Stones Gambling Hall Asks for Postlegate Cheating Case to be Dismissed
- Mike Postle Files Response in Poker-Cheating Case
- New Defense Briefs and Alleged Victims Lawsuits Filed as Postlegate Continues
- Second Lawsuit Filed Over Mike Postle Poker Cheating Allegations
- Mike Postle Amends Dismissal Motion in Poker Cheating Case
- Plaintiffs Seek Sanctions Against Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle
- Mike Postle Accused of Dodging Legal Service in Second Poker Cheating Case
- Mike Postle Cheating Lawsuit: Plaintiffs File Response to Stones’ Denial of Responsibility
- Stones Gambling Hall, Kings Casino File Amended Motions to Dismiss Postlegate Lawsuit
- Shock as Mike Postle Cheating Case Dismissed by Judge
- Mike Postle Fights to Dismiss Nevada Cheating Lawsuit by Marle Cordeiro
- Settlement Talks Disclosed Between Stones Gambling Hall, Alleged Cheating Victims
- Veronica Brill Shocked by Postlegate Netflix Documentary Claims
- Nevada-based Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction
- Whistleblower Veronica Brill Not Among 60 Players Who Accept Settlement in Postlegate Scandal
- Mike Postle and Justin Kuraitis Speak Out as Mac Verstandig Admits No Forensic Evidence of Cheating
- Poker Pros Trash Justin Kuraitis Pro-Postle Statement
- Postlegate $40,000 Payoff More Than Lawsuit ‘Rake’ Damages
- Bart Hanson Dissects New Postlegate Hands as Justin Kuraitis Sets Twitter Alight
- Mike Postle Movie Producer Promises It's Not Just An Innocence Film
- Justin Kuraitis Goes Quiet On Twitter Following Postlegate Backlash
- Mike Postle Launches $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Brill, Negreanu, Ingram and Others
Want poker news as it breaks? Join the Poker News and Gossip Telegram channel!
Did you like this article?Tweet +0