Todd Witteles to File Frivolous-Lawsuit Claim in Mike Postle Libel Case2 months ago
Todd Witteles, the owner of the PokerFraudAlert poker forum, has announced that his attorney will file an “anti-SLAPP” motion declaring the libel lawsuit filed by alleged poker cheater Mike Postle against Witteles and 11 other defendants is frivolous and a violation of Witteles’ free-speech rights.
Witteles, a one-time WSOP bracelet winner and the owner or co-owner of multiple poker-discussion sites for well over a decade, was one of numerous well known poker names to offer opinions regarding Postle’s guilt or innocence. Such discussion regarding Postle’s win rates -- deemed highly improbable to most onlookers -- has flooded the poker world.
WItteles’ announcement via Twitter came shortly after news emerged that Postle’s attorney in the $330 million lawsuit targeting entities such as ESPN and PokerNews had filed a motion to be removed from the case. If granted, the motion would leave Postle needing to find new representation or take other options in the case.
Witteles’ attorney, Eric Bensamochan, filed the anti-SLAPP motion on December 8, with a hearing on the motion scheduled for February 10, 2021. The motion asserts that Postle’s lawsuit was brought “primarily to chill the valid exercise of the constitutional rights of freedom of speech and petition for the redress of grievances.” A “SLAPP” lawsuit (strategic lawsuit against public participation) often targets deep-pocketed defendants or anyone who dares to comment publicly on topics of interest, such as the Postle controversy.
Postle’s libel lawsuit, filed in October, named mostly high-profile media outlets and appeared linked to an announced film documentary purporting to tell his side of the alleged cheating scandal. However, news of the departure of Postle’s attorney may impact those plans. Postle’s lawyer declared that Postle broke the attorney-client agreement and has otherwise stopped communicating with his attorney. According to Witteles, none of the 12 defendants have even been served notice of the libel lawsuit.
Witteles’ anti-SLAPP motion offers several basic points, including that Postle qualifies as a “public figure” (certainly within the poker world), and is thus not afforded widespread legal protection against libel or defamation. The upcoming motion also notes that Witteles made only three specific statements of opinion upon which Postle based his libel claims, and that not only Witteles’ PokerFraudAlert forum, but also the internet in general, are protected public forums regarding free speech.
If successful, the anti-SLAPP motion would allow WItteles to recover legal expenses from Postle. It concludes with a broad declaration:
“It is apparent that [Postle] filed this meritless lawsuit in an attempt to better his own public image, with full disregard for the rights of Witteles. This is the exact situation the anti-SLAPP legislation was designed for. The Court should grant this special motion to strike based on Witteles’ well-founded right to free speech, and in the interests of equity and justice.”
If you missed anything connected to the case over the past year, our extensive coverage of the Postlegate scandal can be viewed below:
- Sick Heater or Sick Cheater? StonesLive Player Under Suspicion
- Updates on Mike Postle Poker Cheating Scandal at StonesLive
- Mike Postle Denies Cheating Allegations On The Mouthpiece Podcast
- Is Mike Postle Really A Cheat?
- Mike Postle, Stones and Kuraitis Named in $10million Cheating Scandal Lawsuit
- Veronica Brill - The Real Hero Of The Stones Live Poker Cheating Scandal
- Has Matt Berkey Discovered The Postlegate Cheating Method?
- Is Jonathan Little Unfairly Cashing in on Postlegate Scandal?
- Top 5 Hands Mike Postle Allegedly Cheated On Stones Live Cash Game
- Postlegate Whistleblower Veronica Brill Reveals Inner Workings of Stones Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle Will Not Go To Jail Over Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle In Hiding As $10Million Lawsuit Heads To Court
- Mike Postle's Magazine Releases Anonymous Article Casting Doubt on Cheating Claims
- Anonymous Claims That Mike Postle Played At Other Casinos During Alleged Cheating Streak
- Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle Finally Acknowledges $10million Lawsuit
- Another Delay in Mike Postle Cheating Case
- Stones Gambling Hall Asks for Postlegate Cheating Case to be Dismissed
- Mike Postle Files Response in Poker-Cheating Case
- New Defense Briefs and Alleged Victims Lawsuits Filed as Postlegate Continues
- Second Lawsuit Filed Over Mike Postle Poker Cheating Allegations
- Mike Postle Amends Dismissal Motion in Poker Cheating Case
- Plaintiffs Seek Sanctions Against Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle
- Mike Postle Accused of Dodging Legal Service in Second Poker Cheating Case
- Mike Postle Cheating Lawsuit: Plaintiffs File Response to Stones’ Denial of Responsibility
- Stones Gambling Hall, Kings Casino File Amended Motions to Dismiss Postlegate Lawsuit
- Shock as Mike Postle Cheating Case Dismissed by Judge
- Mike Postle Fights to Dismiss Nevada Cheating Lawsuit by Marle Cordeiro
- Settlement Talks Disclosed Between Stones Gambling Hall, Alleged Cheating Victims
- Veronica Brill Shocked by Postlegate Netflix Documentary Claims
- Nevada-based Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction
- Whistleblower Veronica Brill Not Among 60 Players Who Accept Settlement in Postlegate Scandal
- Mike Postle and Justin Kuraitis Speak Out as Mac Verstandig Admits No Forensic Evidence of Cheating
- Poker Pros Trash Justin Kuraitis Pro-Postle Statement
- Postlegate $40,000 Payoff More Than Lawsuit ‘Rake’ Damages
- Bart Hanson Dissects New Postlegate Hands as Justin Kuraitis Sets Twitter Alight
- Mike Postle Movie Producer Promises It's Not Just An Innocence Film
- Justin Kuraitis Goes Quiet On Twitter Following Postlegate Backlash
- Mike Postle Launches $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Brill, Negreanu, Ingram and Others
- Veronica Brill Launches GoFundMe Campaign for Mike Postle Libel Lawsuit Legal Fees
- Inside Mike Postle’s $330million Defamation Conspiracy Lawsuit: Who He Is Suing And Why
- Todd Witteles Hires Beverly Hills Lawyer to Defend Against Mike Postle Accusations
- Mike Postle’s Attorney Files Motion to Exit Case, Citing Compliance and Communication Failures
Want poker news as it breaks? Join the Poker News and Gossip Telegram channel!
Did you like this article?Tweet +0