Mike Postle Case Update: Veronica Brill Defense Attorney Marc Randazza Provides Statement on HONR Network Involvement4 months ago
In the wake of yesterday’s publication of statements offered by the HONR Network’s Director of Public Relations and Policy, Alexandrea Merrell, concerning its involvement with the $330 million libel lawsuit filed by alleged poker cheat Mike Postle, a prominent defense attorney has offered his own countering statement.
Marc J. Randazza, the attorney for lead defendant Veronica Brill, offered his own take on the HONR Network’s immersion into the case.
“Thought you should know that Merrell lied to you,” Randazza’s direct message via social media began.
While who’s been lying and who hasn’t is largely a matter for the courts, this writer believes that having given a platform for one side, the other side deserves an opportunity to comment as well.
Randazza, who agreed to have his statements be fully on the record, took immediate issue with Merrell’s claim that her group wasn’t offering something approximating legal advice to Postle. Randazza said:
“Merrell acted in a way consistent with being ‘Counsel’ to Postle on calls with my firm. If you would like to have a second source for that, you can confirm with my associate. You might also want to talk to Witteles' counsel, who had a similar experience. When my associate got on the phone with Postle, Merrell was the one doing the talking - and arguing for a 90 to 180 day extension of time in the case. It seemed more that she was driving the bus than Postle. She even argued with my associate that we would lose credibility with the judge and seem unreasonable if we did not agree to their proposed 90-180 day delay in the case. When he reported that to me, I called - and she did the same -- arguing and telling me that they were ‘determining what content was actionable’ -- you know, the *practice of law* - Postle couldn't even get a word in with Merrell on the line.”This writer has yet to be able to confirm Randazza’s claims regarding other counsel’s impressions of Merrell’s work. Meanwhile, in the hearing, Postle actually sought a 90- to 120-day second extension, but received a much shorter 33-day continuance instead.
Randazza continued by addressing references to an infamous Connecticut case involving Sandy Hook conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, in which Randazza was not given permission to appear.
“Merrill (and [HuffingtonPost]) also lied that I was ‘fired’ by Alex Jones. I continue to represent him and Infowars in multiple matters. Where there are difficult defamation cases or other matters involving the First Amendment, I'm on the short list of who you call. I do not discriminate on what other people think of my clients. The First Amendment is there for everyone, or it winds up being there for no one.”Randazza also took issue with a statement made by Postle in his motion for a second continuance, in which he described his first attorney, Steven Lowe, as being inexperienced in online defamation cases. In December, Lowe sought to be removed from his role as Postle’s counsel, citing Postle’s lack of communication and asserting at least one violation of their attorney-client agreement.
“Any claim by Postle that Steve Lowe is ‘inexperienced’ in this kind of case is ludicrous. Steve is a very well respected attorney - and quite honestly, I would have no reservations about hiring him myself, if I needed an attorney. In fact, I signed up for a CLE that he's going to be teaching - *because I think there is much to be learned from him.* But, Postle expects the world and the court to believe that he needed a better lawyer? Rubbish. The rules of ethics constrain Mr. Lowe from defending himself from this bullshit that he was somehow not competent to handle this case. I wish he were permitted to tell his side of the story, but since he can't, I will gladly defend his honor. He's a hell of a lawyer, and Postle's statements the contrary don't pass the smell test. Postle's claims about why the attorney-client relationship ended do not seem plausible to me, nor to anyone else. If there is one thing that I wish were covered more accurately in this case it is this - I wish someone would really tell the truth about Steve. He's a great lawyer. If he and Postle have divergent stories about why the relationship broke down, I would believe Steve.”
Randazza offered little as to whether he was being tracked or targeted by the HONR Network due to his relationship to InfoWars’ Alex Jones, but noted that “it does seem funny that HONR reached out to Postle,” when so many other cases of alleged or actual online defamation could have drawn their interest as well.
The next hearing in the case is scheduled for April 20th, when anti-SLAPP motions filed on behalf of defendants Veronica Brill and Todd Witteles are likely to be heard. By then, the world will likely also have learned whether Postle has retained replacement counsel or will continue to attempt to argue his claims himself.
If you missed anything connected to the case over the past year, our extensive coverage of the Postlegate scandal can be viewed below:
- Sick Heater or Sick Cheater? StonesLive Player Under Suspicion
- Updates on Mike Postle Poker Cheating Scandal at StonesLive
- Mike Postle Denies Cheating Allegations On The Mouthpiece Podcast
- Is Mike Postle Really A Cheat?
- Mike Postle, Stones and Kuraitis Named in $10million Cheating Scandal Lawsuit
- Veronica Brill - The Real Hero Of The Stones Live Poker Cheating Scandal
- Has Matt Berkey Discovered The Postlegate Cheating Method?
- Is Jonathan Little Unfairly Cashing in on Postlegate Scandal?
- Top 5 Hands Mike Postle Allegedly Cheated On Stones Live Cash Game
- Postlegate Whistleblower Veronica Brill Reveals Inner Workings of Stones Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle Will Not Go To Jail Over Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle In Hiding As $10Million Lawsuit Heads To Court
- Mike Postle's Magazine Releases Anonymous Article Casting Doubt on Cheating Claims
- Anonymous Claims That Mike Postle Played At Other Casinos During Alleged Cheating Streak
- Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle Finally Acknowledges $10million Lawsuit
- Another Delay in Mike Postle Cheating Case
- Stones Gambling Hall Asks for Postlegate Cheating Case to be Dismissed
- Mike Postle Files Response in Poker-Cheating Case
- New Defense Briefs and Alleged Victims Lawsuits Filed as Postlegate Continues
- Second Lawsuit Filed Over Mike Postle Poker Cheating Allegations
- Mike Postle Amends Dismissal Motion in Poker Cheating Case
- Plaintiffs Seek Sanctions Against Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle
- Mike Postle Accused of Dodging Legal Service in Second Poker Cheating Case
- Mike Postle Cheating Lawsuit: Plaintiffs File Response to Stones’ Denial of Responsibility
- Stones Gambling Hall, Kings Casino File Amended Motions to Dismiss Postlegate Lawsuit
- Shock as Mike Postle Cheating Case Dismissed by Judge
- Mike Postle Fights to Dismiss Nevada Cheating Lawsuit by Marle Cordeiro
- Settlement Talks Disclosed Between Stones Gambling Hall, Alleged Cheating Victims
- Veronica Brill Shocked by Postlegate Netflix Documentary Claims
- Nevada-based Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction
- Whistleblower Veronica Brill Not Among 60 Players Who Accept Settlement in Postlegate Scandal
- Mike Postle and Justin Kuraitis Speak Out as Mac Verstandig Admits No Forensic Evidence of Cheating
- Poker Pros Trash Justin Kuraitis Pro-Postle Statement
- Postlegate $40,000 Payoff More Than Lawsuit ‘Rake’ Damages
- Bart Hanson Dissects New Postlegate Hands as Justin Kuraitis Sets Twitter Alight
- Mike Postle Movie Producer Promises It's Not Just An Innocence Film
- Justin Kuraitis Goes Quiet On Twitter Following Postlegate Backlash
- Mike Postle Launches $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Brill, Negreanu, Ingram and Others
- Veronica Brill Launches GoFundMe Campaign for Mike Postle Libel Lawsuit Legal Fees
- Inside Mike Postle’s $330million Defamation Conspiracy Lawsuit: Who He Is Suing And Why
- Todd Witteles Hires Beverly Hills Lawyer to Defend Against Mike Postle Accusations
- Mike Postle’s Attorney Files Motion to Exit Case, Citing Compliance and Communication Failures
- Todd Witteles to File Frivolous-Lawsuit Claim in Mike Postle Libel Case
- February Hearings Approach for Anti-SLAPP Motions in Mike Postle Libel Lawsut
- Mike Postle’s Internet Trolls Disappear Along with Alleged Cheat
- Mike Postle Files For Second Continuation, Todd Witteles Files Opposing Motion
- Mike Postle Granted Second Continuance in $330 Million Libel Case
- Mike Postle Case Update: HONR Network Clarifies Involvement
Want poker news as it breaks? Join the Poker News and Gossip Telegram channel!
Did you like this article?Tweet +0