Todd Witteles Chases Mike Postle for $43,000 in Legal Fees5 months ago
Alleged poker cheat Mike Postle is being chased for more than $43,000 in legal fees by one of the people he accused of defamation, Poker Fraud Alert founder Todd Witteles taking the legal route himself this week…
Witteles was among 12 defendants named in Postle’s $330million defamation lawsuit, which was sensationally dropped last week by the man accused of receiving outside help to screw over fellow players during live-streamed cash games at Stones Gambling Hall in Sacramento, California.
Whistleblower Veronica Brill, along with Witteles, both launched anti-SLAPP lawsuits, claiming that Postle’s defamation claims were simply designed to stifle free speech.
Veronica Brill, who will also be chasing legal fees from Postle, this week described Postle’s lawsuit as “a big scam,” adding:
“I don’t think he had any evidence to back anything he said up."
Brill continued in her YouTube podcast:
“I don’t think he was prepared to actually have a real lawsuit against me and all these other people. I don’t think he could find a lawyer that would fight with him that he could afford, so he backed out of this lawsuit.”
Although a judge is yet to certify Postle’s ‘request for dismissal’, this week saw Witteles’ lawyer, Eric Bensamochan, file a claim to recover the legal fees on behalf of Witteles.
That filing states that $42,879.50 in attorney’s fees and at least $435 in court costs are being sought by Witteles, all of which “were directly related to, or at a minimum, were ‘inextricably intertwined’ with the Anti-SLAPP motion,” according to Bensamochan.
Blaming Postle and his SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation) lawsuit for his client incurring the fees and costs in defence, Witteles’ lawyer explained:
“This was a First Amendment case, and one that could not have been taken lightly. As a matter of public policy, and in order to effectuate the intent and purpose of the SLAPP statute, it is critical that Defendant Witteles be fully compensated for his decision to present a defense to Plaintiff’s claims in this action and vindicate his right to speak openly about controversial topics.”
Presiding judge, Hon. Shama H. Mesiwala of the Sacramento County Superior Court in California is expected to rule on the anti-SLAPP motions later this month.
If you missed anything connected to the case over the past year, our extensive coverage of the Postlegate scandal can be viewed below:
- Sick Heater or Sick Cheater? StonesLive Player Under Suspicion
- Updates on Mike Postle Poker Cheating Scandal at StonesLive
- Mike Postle Denies Cheating Allegations On The Mouthpiece Podcast
- Is Mike Postle Really A Cheat?
- Mike Postle, Stones and Kuraitis Named in $10million Cheating Scandal Lawsuit
- Veronica Brill - The Real Hero Of The Stones Live Poker Cheating Scandal
- Has Matt Berkey Discovered The Postlegate Cheating Method?
- Is Jonathan Little Unfairly Cashing in on Postlegate Scandal?
- Top 5 Hands Mike Postle Allegedly Cheated On Stones Live Cash Game
- Postlegate Whistleblower Veronica Brill Reveals Inner Workings of Stones Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle Will Not Go To Jail Over Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle In Hiding As $10Million Lawsuit Heads To Court
- Mike Postle's Magazine Releases Anonymous Article Casting Doubt on Cheating Claims
- Anonymous Claims That Mike Postle Played At Other Casinos During Alleged Cheating Streak
- Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle Finally Acknowledges $10million Lawsuit
- Another Delay in Mike Postle Cheating Case
- Stones Gambling Hall Asks for Postlegate Cheating Case to be Dismissed
- Mike Postle Files Response in Poker-Cheating Case
- New Defense Briefs and Alleged Victims Lawsuits Filed as Postlegate Continues
- Second Lawsuit Filed Over Mike Postle Poker Cheating Allegations
- Mike Postle Amends Dismissal Motion in Poker Cheating Case
- Plaintiffs Seek Sanctions Against Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle
- Mike Postle Accused of Dodging Legal Service in Second Poker Cheating Case
- Mike Postle Cheating Lawsuit: Plaintiffs File Response to Stones’ Denial of Responsibility
- Stones Gambling Hall, Kings Casino File Amended Motions to Dismiss Postlegate Lawsuit
- Shock as Mike Postle Cheating Case Dismissed by Judge
- Mike Postle Fights to Dismiss Nevada Cheating Lawsuit by Marle Cordeiro
- Settlement Talks Disclosed Between Stones Gambling Hall, Alleged Cheating Victims
- Veronica Brill Shocked by Postlegate Netflix Documentary Claims
- Nevada-based Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction
- Whistleblower Veronica Brill Not Among 60 Players Who Accept Settlement in Postlegate Scandal
- Mike Postle and Justin Kuraitis Speak Out as Mac Verstandig Admits No Forensic Evidence of Cheating
- Poker Pros Trash Justin Kuraitis Pro-Postle Statement
- Postlegate $40,000 Payoff More Than Lawsuit ‘Rake’ Damages
- Bart Hanson Dissects New Postlegate Hands as Justin Kuraitis Sets Twitter Alight
- Mike Postle Movie Producer Promises It's Not Just An Innocence Film
- Justin Kuraitis Goes Quiet On Twitter Following Postlegate Backlash
- Mike Postle Launches $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Brill, Negreanu, Ingram and Others
- Veronica Brill Launches GoFundMe Campaign for Mike Postle Libel Lawsuit Legal Fees
- Inside Mike Postle’s $330million Defamation Conspiracy Lawsuit: Who He Is Suing And Why
- Todd Witteles Hires Beverly Hills Lawyer to Defend Against Mike Postle Accusations
- Mike Postle’s Attorney Files Motion to Exit Case, Citing Compliance and Communication Failures
- Todd Witteles to File Frivolous-Lawsuit Claim in Mike Postle Libel Case
- February Hearings Approach for Anti-SLAPP Motions in Mike Postle Libel Lawsut
- Mike Postle’s Internet Trolls Disappear Along with Alleged Cheat
- Mike Postle Files For Second Continuation, Todd Witteles Files Opposing Motion
- Mike Postle Granted Second Continuance in $330 Million Libel Case
- Mike Postle Case Update: HONR Network Clarifies Involvement
- Mike Postle Case Update: Veronica Brill Defense Attorney Marc Randazza Provides Statement on HONR Network Involvement
- Mike Postle Drops $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Whistleblower Veronica Brill
Want poker news as it breaks? Join the Poker News and Gossip Telegram channel!
Did you like this article?Tweet +0