Whistleblower Veronica Brill Awarded $27,000 Against Mike Postle in Anti-SLAPP Lawsuit Judgement1 month ago
This week it was Veronica Brill’s turn to be awarded financial recompense against Mike Postle, the whistleblower in the alleged cheating scandal granted $27,745 towards her legal costs in the long-running saga...
Postle did not appear for the latest episode in the courtroom drama that has already seen him hit with a $26,982 judgement in the Todd Witteles anti-SLAPP case.
Brill had also filed an anti-SLAPP lawsuit following Postle’s $330million defamation action against her, Witteles and ten others, including Daniel Negreanu and Doug Polk.
When Postle voluntarily withdrew his lawsuit, he automatically lost the financial battle, as Brill’s lawyer Marc J. Randazza explained to CardsChat last month.
“California law is crystal clear on this. If you file a SLAPP [Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation] suit, and you try to cut and run after getting hit with an anti-SLAPP motion, you are deemed the losing party and have to pay the prevailing party’s fees. Now, he doesn’t even have a prayer of being the prevailing party.”
However, just as Witteles’ fees claim was whittled down from $43,314.50 to just under $27k, so too was Brill’s total costs claim deemed excessive.
Randazza had filed for $78,600 in legal expenses, but Presiding California Superior Court Judge Shama H. Mesiwala cut that extensively.
Judge Mesiwala allowed for the following:
- 15 hours x $800/hour for Randazza’s work – $12,000
- 25 hours x $450/hour for associate attorney work – $11,250
- 20 hours x $175/hour for paralegal staffers work – $3,525
She also awarded $961.90 in court fee costs to Brill as defendant, who told CardsChat news’ Haley Hintze:
“I’m happy with the result and I’m glad that he has to pay at least something. It feels a little bit like he’s paying something back.”
The story is far from over as both Brill and Witteles will still have to enforce the collection of the money from Postle, whose no-show was perhaps unexpected given the 300+ page document he filed earlier this month.
Although he succeeded in having the amount he must pay reduced, it has been an overall horrendous month for the man accused of cheating a livestreamed cash game.
As well as the two financial hits, his ex-wife also appeared in public and revealed alleged details of Postle’s tawdry and sordid past that includes domestic violence, scams and casino arrests.
The interview with Veronica Brill also saw his ex-wife, Sabina Johnson, produce screenshots of text messages from her ex-husband that she claims is an attempt to use their daughter as leverage to prevent her from speaking out against him.
If you missed anything connected to the case over the past year, our extensive coverage of the Postlegate scandal can be viewed below:
- Sick Heater or Sick Cheater? StonesLive Player Under Suspicion
- Updates on Mike Postle Poker Cheating Scandal at StonesLive
- Mike Postle Denies Cheating Allegations On The Mouthpiece Podcast
- Is Mike Postle Really A Cheat?
- Mike Postle, Stones and Kuraitis Named in $10million Cheating Scandal Lawsuit
- Veronica Brill - The Real Hero Of The Stones Live Poker Cheating Scandal
- Has Matt Berkey Discovered The Postlegate Cheating Method?
- Is Jonathan Little Unfairly Cashing in on Postlegate Scandal?
- Top 5 Hands Mike Postle Allegedly Cheated On Stones Live Cash Game
- Postlegate Whistleblower Veronica Brill Reveals Inner Workings of Stones Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle Will Not Go To Jail Over Cheating Scandal
- Mike Postle In Hiding As $10Million Lawsuit Heads To Court
- Mike Postle's Magazine Releases Anonymous Article Casting Doubt on Cheating Claims
- Anonymous Claims That Mike Postle Played At Other Casinos During Alleged Cheating Streak
- Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle Finally Acknowledges $10million Lawsuit
- Another Delay in Mike Postle Cheating Case
- Stones Gambling Hall Asks for Postlegate Cheating Case to be Dismissed
- Mike Postle Files Response in Poker-Cheating Case
- New Defense Briefs and Alleged Victims Lawsuits Filed as Postlegate Continues
- Second Lawsuit Filed Over Mike Postle Poker Cheating Allegations
- Mike Postle Amends Dismissal Motion in Poker Cheating Case
- Plaintiffs Seek Sanctions Against Alleged Poker Cheat Mike Postle
- Mike Postle Accused of Dodging Legal Service in Second Poker Cheating Case
- Mike Postle Cheating Lawsuit: Plaintiffs File Response to Stones’ Denial of Responsibility
- Stones Gambling Hall, Kings Casino File Amended Motions to Dismiss Postlegate Lawsuit
- Shock as Mike Postle Cheating Case Dismissed by Judge
- Mike Postle Fights to Dismiss Nevada Cheating Lawsuit by Marle Cordeiro
- Settlement Talks Disclosed Between Stones Gambling Hall, Alleged Cheating Victims
- Veronica Brill Shocked by Postlegate Netflix Documentary Claims
- Nevada-based Lawsuit Against Mike Postle Dismissed For Lack of Jurisdiction
- Whistleblower Veronica Brill Not Among 60 Players Who Accept Settlement in Postlegate Scandal
- Mike Postle and Justin Kuraitis Speak Out as Mac Verstandig Admits No Forensic Evidence of Cheating
- Poker Pros Trash Justin Kuraitis Pro-Postle Statement
- Postlegate $40,000 Payoff More Than Lawsuit ‘Rake’ Damages
- Bart Hanson Dissects New Postlegate Hands as Justin Kuraitis Sets Twitter Alight
- Mike Postle Movie Producer Promises It's Not Just An Innocence Film
- Justin Kuraitis Goes Quiet On Twitter Following Postlegate Backlash
- Mike Postle Launches $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Brill, Negreanu, Ingram and Others
- Veronica Brill Launches GoFundMe Campaign for Mike Postle Libel Lawsuit Legal Fees
- Inside Mike Postle’s $330million Defamation Conspiracy Lawsuit: Who He Is Suing And Why
- Todd Witteles Hires Beverly Hills Lawyer to Defend Against Mike Postle Accusations
- Mike Postle’s Attorney Files Motion to Exit Case, Citing Compliance and Communication Failures
- Todd Witteles to File Frivolous-Lawsuit Claim in Mike Postle Libel Case
- February Hearings Approach for Anti-SLAPP Motions in Mike Postle Libel Lawsut
- Mike Postle’s Internet Trolls Disappear Along with Alleged Cheat
- Mike Postle Files For Second Continuation, Todd Witteles Files Opposing Motion
- Mike Postle Granted Second Continuance in $330 Million Libel Case
- Mike Postle Case Update: HONR Network Clarifies Involvement
- Mike Postle Case Update: Veronica Brill Defense Attorney Marc Randazza Provides Statement on HONR Network Involvement
- Mike Postle Drops $330million Defamation Lawsuit Against Whistleblower Veronica Brill
- Todd Witteles Chases Mike Postle for $43,000 in Legal Fees
- Veronica Brill Chasing Mike Postle for Legal Fees
- Judge Orders Mike Postle to Pay $27,000 in Anti-SLAPP Ruling
- Mike Postle Appears in Court via Zoom to Argue Against Legal Costs Award
- Mike Postle’s Ex-Wife Reveals All to Veronica Brill
- Mike Postle in Trouble as Court Rejects Legal Papers Ahead of Veronica Brill Hearing
Did you like this article?Tweet +0